Giving gifts makes me happy. I don’t think they have to be expensive, or fancy, or huge either… a good gift really just has to be thoughtful. Since both my siblings are elder to me, I have this habit of presenting gifts for brothers who have everything, and making their birthday or wedding anniversary event more vibrant and an event to remember.
When I go gift shopping, for example, I’m not just on a mission buy – I’m on a mission to tailor my purchase to the heart of the recipient. So, here’s my tip:
The one principle of gift giving you’ll ever need to know is this:
GIVE IN A WAY YOU WANT TO BE GIVEN TO.
We love to be ‘known’, don’t we? We love when someone remembers our name; we love when someone notices the little things about us like a new hairstyle, our manicure, the fact we’ve lost some weight or bought a new sweater. We love to be told we’re beautiful, and smart, and inspiring… we love to be loved.
There’s something about being valued that warms us up from deep within and encourages us to open up.
So, when it comes to gift giving, give gifts that show you value the person you’re giving to. This doesn’t mean that if they’re not your best friend you’re shooting in the dark, either. To the contrary, even if you don’t know someone on a very personal level, pay attention to the subtle clues their life shares on a daily basis:
- What does the person talk about when you’re with them? What hobbies do they have? Where do they like to eat? Do they have something they’re learning to do? Do they have a place they dream of visiting? Do they like to watch particular shows?
- What have you noticed about how the person walks through the world? Is there a color you notice they wear more often than others? Do you see them with a particular coffee cup in hand? Do they like to wear unique jewelry? What is their style? Do they always carry a book with them? Are their nails always done? Do they seem to always be in ‘designer’ goods?
- What is their life status? Do they work? Do they stay home with kids? Do they exercise regularly?
Picking the perfect gift starts out with paying attention to the details of life.
Because the truth is this:
- A handcream is just a handcream… unless you give a handcream to a woman that happens to cherish her hands.
- A sweater is just a sweater…. unless you buy it in the persons favorite color from their favorite store.
- Cooking ingredients and spices are just food ingredients and spices… unless you know the person receiving them happens to be a phenomenal cook and will love exotic ingredients to add to her repertoire.
Take time to give a gift that truly reflects the person you’re giving it.
Give in a way YOU would want to be given to… and I promise you will light someone’s heart on fire.
With all that said, here’s my AM Northwest segment from today where I spotlighted some great gift-ideas from World Market:
p.s. If you’re looking for the specific items I mentioned, I’ve created Pintrest boards for each ‘theme’ I talked about: chocolate lovers, the ‘foodie’ ingredients’, Downton Abbey tea inspiration, and ‘flavors of asia’. Also, while I was asked by World Market to do this segment, the choices and opinions are my own.
So, gift to the heart… and happy gifting!